Chelekura Village lies in the Pallisa District of Eastern Uganda, an area of poor infrastructure not yet linked to other major trading centres.
In 2013 Wendy Okurut, a Mzungo (white person), married to a local Ugandan man visited Chelekura for the first time; the welcome she received from the community led her to seek God for a way to work with the villagers to practically improve living standards and prosperity for the current/next generation.
Since then Wendy has worked with local village elders and trusted members of the community, helping to equip and resource them to deliver locally inspired projects.
CVP is a small charity with a large vision which has links with other projects in the region, especially Mbale School of Nursing and Midwifery where Wendy is an honorary tutor.
Projects undertaken to date include:
- Providing the resources and funding for a weekly free primary care clinic
- Providing solar lighting to families with school children who are studying for exams and elderly villagers with poor eyesight
- Providing teaching resources to the village primary school and school packs to children who attend
- Assisting families to develop new businesses which make them financially independent
- Assisting individual young people financially enabling them to return to school/study for a career
- Providing finance to build a new church/community facility
- Teaching local pastors/church leaders and providing bibles for them in their local language
- In addition the Mbale School of Nursing and Midwifery has been provided with textbooks and anatomical models
CVP links include:
Solar Aid: http://www.solar-aid.org/